Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lucky does not feel well, day 290

Just when I started thinking we might be able to proclaim Lucky's survival, we got a kick in the head. On of those kicks that says, "you big idiot". I have been hoping all along we could get to the point where we felt he would make it, we could relax. But instead I know realize we will never get there. When he gets to be an old boy, that's when we can say, "he made it".

So what happened..... He went to the vet for his ears again and when I weighed him he was 28 LBS. I was shocked. I had stopped his daily weighings when he stopped gaining water weight. Dr M was hopeful it was actual fat, I had my reservations. I felt his abdomin and could feel the ballon like feeling. But you never know. I started the daily weighings again and sure enough he started going down after about 1 week.

I started weighing his sister Aly too. She is getting fat from eating all the treats intended for Lucky. :-) They weighed exactly the same. The race was on to get the weigh off of her and him and then get him fat.

Lucky has been on antibiotics for over 1 month for his ears and I think they are getting to him. He vomits daily now, all the food he eats and he looks very skinny again. I know he has about 3LBS of just water. He no longer has the strength to jump on the bed but he is in good spirits. I won't be giving him the antibiotics again until I prove to myself they were not the cause.

Then our buddy Beanie, took a turn for the worse. She liver numbers are up and she is not feeling well. We all thought she was well on the road to recovery. This more than anything made me realize we will never know if Lucky will make it, until he has his 12th or 13th birthday.

Lucky's Mom, Koko had her second ear surgery yesterday and she is not doing great. She is staying in the hospital another day because she falls over. The vet is hopeful this will go away eventually. Poor Koko, she has also been though so much and is always a trooper.

After her first surgery (2 weeks ago) she came home in one of those collars and she turned into a one dog wrecking crew. She seemed even more surprised than we did when item after item fell and broke in her path. :-)

Lucky was on antibiotics to prevent him from getting like Koko. The operations would be very hard on him, not even sure it could be done. What are we going to do with these Cocker ears?

Our daily thoughts are with Beanie and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment