Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dogs mourn, I know this.

I couldn't work the next day, one of our treasured family members was gone. I cried, cried, cried and Lucky and Aly would not leave my side.  We were a mess and little did I know it was my fault.

The very next week I told Dr. M I wanted the same test on Aly and another one on Lucky.  He tried to tell me it wasn't needed (these are not part of the plan, you pay extra for these test).  I asked him to humor me and if they were OK I would leave it at that.  Well he was right, they were fine.  Lucky was where is always was and Aly was fine.  I felt relief but not better.

Three week later we're still all depressed.  Back to the Dr. M we go.  So I ask him, "how long do dogs mourn".  I had a Golden that mourned a cat we had and loved. They use to sleep together.  I knew dogs mourned.  Well Dr. M looks at me and says, "they are going to mourn as long as you do."  I perked up on the walk to the car because I do not want to be the reason my dogs feel any physical or emotional pain.

I always thought Koko would be with us at least 14 yrs. But she wasn't and just like with my son I had to focus and treasure the time we did have her.  She was very special and the best doggy mommy ever.

This blog was about Lucky but without Koko there would have been no Lucky.  When he was a very little puppy, Koko had a routine.  She was in our bedroom all night and early morning, then around 9 Am she would want to move to her bed in the family room, she liked the sunshine.  So she would come upstairs and get me so I could get Lucky and move him to the other bed and then we would repeae it in the afternoon when she was ready.  One bark meant she was ready and two or more meant something was wrong. We have great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment