Saturday, July 25, 2009

The day Lucky ate the Sago Palm

It was a Tuesday, not my favorite day of the week. But it was a nice weather day. There was a lot to be done. Our handyman was pulling out some of the sago palms to make way for a deck. I went out to check on him before I went to see my parents and he gave me a bunch of Sago babies. They were soft and warm. He knew I likes Sago's, I had them everywhere. I took the babies to give to my daughter. Not knowing what to do with them I put them in a planter. The inside was not viewable to the dogs as it sat higher than them. I did not want them getting them to play as toys and possibly kill them (the plants). After that I left. The dogs were outside and I left them there. They liked to oversea what the handyman was doing and he loved them. He had and rescued Springer Spaniels so he was a dog person. They all had great fun together.

I never intended to be gone so long but it was 10 PM, 6 hrs later when I got home. I let the dogs in right away and everyone took there usual places on the sofa except Lucky, he laid on the floor. I had noticed the door mat has some cream colored debris and I had wondered where it came from. I was dog sitting my Mom's little dog and she could be a bit destructive so I thought it was something she got a hold of.

I offered them a treat to make up for being gone so long. Lucky did not take his. So I sat on the sofa and told him to come, he did not budge. I don't feed my dogs human food so if they have a chance to get it they fall over themselves to get there first. Lucky is the biggest so usually it's him doing his acrobatics to get the food off the kitchen counter that gives them their break. I offered him cheese, cold cuts, hot dog, and chicken before I freaked out. I picked him up to get a better look and he groaned. Then I went outside to see what I could see. I looked at the bebris but could not figure out what it was. I walked around and then saw the planter over turned. A few of the Sago babies were on the ground but at least 6 of them were gone. Then I knew what the debris was. I went back in and got Hydrogen peroxide, tried to recall what the amount the vet had said to give him. We went outside and waited. It does not take too long to work. Lucky went to the other side of the yard and stood by the fence looking pitiful. He threw-up several times and I looked (ugh) at it to see if I could see any plant debris. It just look like normal stomach stuff. So I figured he had eaten them early enough that they had already been digested. We went back in and I told him he had a terrible tummy ache. He seemed to feel better and drank a ton of water. We all went to bed thinking he'd be fine the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment