Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ultrasound, day 77

Lucky had to go to another vet for his U/S. The vet was very nice and accomodating. I warned him that Lucky had a lot of fluid in his abdomin but he said, that was actually good for the U/S.

I thought I would get to stay with Lucky the way I stayed with Koko when he was pregnant with him. But they said it would take a while and I needed to leave him.

Later that day i got a call from the vet telling me that they took a bunch of pictures but they coul dnot see the liver clearly because there was so much fluid. He wanted to know if he could drain the fluid. I told him yes. I was scared but I had no idea what else I could do.

They took out 3.5 liters of fluid and Lucky lost about 6 lbs of fluid. Hmmm wondering if they could do that to me? :-)

I called to see how lucky was doing and if he was ready to be picked up around 3 PM. The lady at the desk told me the vet wanted to speak with me and could I come in at 5 PM. I told her i could come now and again asked how he was. She said the vet could not see me till 5 PM and would not say anything about Lucky. I hung-up and started crying, I thought he had died and she wasn't suppose to tell me. My husband called and I was still crying. He told me he would meet me at the vet's office. When we got there I was very quiet so my husband went and asked how he was and was told he was fine. They had no idea how badly they had scared me but I was so relieved I didn't even say anything.

We were taken to a room to wait for the vet, he came and talked to us. I have no idea what he said. I recall he wanted to show us the pictures on the computer but it could not read the CD so he had to take us in the back. I saw Lucky and he started clawing at the cage to get out when he saw me. He looked so slender and was moving a lot quicker than he had in along time.

The ultrasound showed the changes in his liver but it could not tell us how much of the liver was cirrhosis. We were told Lucky's chances were 50/50, just like Dr. M said.

Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment