Saturday, July 25, 2009

Is their hope, day 3

It’s March 5, 2009. I leave the house at 6:30 AM to be on time to pick Lucky up at 7 AM from the ER hospital. We were fortunate he did not need any extra care so our bill was only in the $700 range. He seems in good spirits and we go out so he can do his business. We arrive at Banfield by 7:14. He spends the entire day there on fluids.

I go home and to work. I search the internet some more and finally find a survivor story. Beanie's Story
The post was by a woman named Debbie and her dog was Beanie. She had eaten parts of a Sago 4 months ago, in Nov 2008 and was still alive. Debbie and Beanie live in Austin, TX around 1.5 hrs away from me. I decided to respond to her post and ask some questions.

I was worried because I was being told the first 48 hours were the worse, the most defining moment for survival. But reading Debbie’s words was painting a different story.

I’m at Banfield at 6:30 PM to pick-up Lucky. He is doing well and eating so they decide I can take him home but we need to come back at 7 AM for another day of fluids and antibiotics.
His electrolytes which were out of this world yesterday are now stable with all the fluids but his liver emzymes are now showing some high and low levels.

We go home and I hardly take my eyes off of Lucky. He gets to sleep with us for the first time in a long time. After Aly became full grown we realized our bed was too crowed and we did not want to play favorites so everyone got the boot.

We were so glad to have Lucky home but every move he made woke me up. It was like having a baby. He could no longer jump on our bed so I always had to lift him up and down.

Lucky looked so sad, would he ever be happy again?

No comments:

Post a Comment