Sunday, July 26, 2009

How much more can he take, day 73

May 15, Lucky is back in the hospital. Dr. M was out and Lucky was much worse so we spoke to Dr. V on the phone and she sent us to another ER for a plasma transfusion.

His albumin is actually up a little bit and his liver emzymes are back to normal. The ER tells me his electrolyes are really out of whack. So instead of plasma they will give him fluids.

We go back to Banfield and his potassium was really low. That's why he felt so bad. He won't eat anything and he's breathing hard. They tell me he most likely has liver cirrhosis. We are sent for an ultrasound to look at his liver.

I start checking the internet for vets that can do a liver transplant. Have not found one yet, i wonder if it's ever been done. :-(

I start to really think about what Dr. M said, "how far do we go". How far do we go? I don't want him to suffer. He looks at me with such sad eyes. I don't know what to do anymore so I cry a lot. I put him in our bed everynight and then I hardly sleep. I listen to him breath and if i don't hear him I sit up and feel for his pulse.

Lucky is tired of vets poking at him and I don't blame him one bit.

I wrote some of this to Debbie. We have written back and forth and even called each other since those first few postings. She has been my support group. I'm not sure what I would have done without her and Beanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment