Sunday, July 26, 2009

One of my emails to Debbie

I did not list ALT and ALKP because his are normal. Go figure. I just don't get it. I only listed the ones that were not normal.

After we saw the vet I looked at every lab result he had and found something interesting about the kidney's. If BUN is high but other enymes are normal it's not liver failure. for BUN to get elevated from a bad kidney it need to be 75% gone and these other things like CREA have to be elevated. So it is more likely the issue is dehydration. All of that info got me to thinking it's not over till I or Lucky says it's over. I started force feeding him this week-end with puppy milk and all his meds except the sam-e (that makes him so sick) and the diuretics.

On Sunday I called the vet and told them Lucky was coming in for fluids. So there we were at 7 AM. He only ate about a tablespoon of dog food when he got home but it's more than he was eating before. Later I got him to drink some 1% milk. I'm worried about him getting the runs and hence the dehydration gets worse so I'll see what happens. Tomorrow I will take him back in for fluids. Then on Fri or Sat I plan to get him retested again. If it's worse then that's, that. If it's better then I'll keep doing what I'm doing and retesting every week and take it from there. Fingers crossed please.

It's very hard for me to give-up but I do realize enough is enough. He does not look good and he's just bones and he does not take his meds or eat. I can't give up without at least forcing his meds for a while to see if it helps. If I can get those down him for a while maybe he will get better. I was hoping his body could fight it off. I guess he ate so much that he could not recover like Beanie. The vets say his liver is most likely very small now. It all depends on if enough is left to sustain his life. I might have the U/S repeated so I'll know.

I don't want him to suffer and now sometimes he looks like he is. It could be my imagination. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment